Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Kicking and Screaming
When Thing One was born, she came into the world kicking and screaming. Things haven't changed much in 20+ years. She's the one dragging me into the rodeo queen world. I never intended to become the dreaded "pageant mother" who follows her child with a camera in one hand and the can of cement quality hairspray in the other. Nevertheless, that is the role I have been drawn, kicking and screaming, into performing. Granted, Thing One is the one who makes all the calls, does the majority of the paperwork (I just have to proofread and create new words and sentence structures) and who has to be nice to everyone she meets, because she is, after all, a rodeo queen contestant. It's just that I feel really sorry of the other three Things. They get to see Thing One with her hair down, literally. She doesn't have to be nice to them because she doesn't go much of anywhere publicly with them and avoids them like the plague when they are all within the same domicile. I think they actually do care for one another, in there own maligned ways. If I do have to spend much time with all of them, I'll be the one that gets taken away, kicking and screaming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment